The basic sponge recipe is sort of the cake baker’s bread and butter! This is the one I use, whether as they come, as a basic mix to add other ingredients to, or as a base upon which to lovingly decorate.
(makes around 10 muffin-sized cupcakes, or 15-18 smaller ones)
3 eggs I 6 oz Stork (could replace with butter) I 6oz sugar I
I 6oz self raising flour I 1 tsp baking powder I A sploosh of milk I
Vanilla Essence (optional)
How to make
- Preheat the oven to 180° C (350 F) and place your cupcake/muffin cases in the muffin tin ready.
- Cream together the Stork/butter and sugar in a bowl, then add the eggs and stir until mixed.
- Add the flour and mix thoroughly.
- Now add the vanilla essence if you’re using it and a sploosh of milk! Not too much though (around a couple of tablespoons will do the trick!) Stir well.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake cases – aim to make them around just over half full if you want to decorate them.
- Pop them into the oven for around 12 minutes, then check them! If they’re springy when you poke them, they’re ready. Remember though, if you’ve used bigger cases i.e. muffin cases, they’ll take a little longer to cook!
- Take the tin out of the oven, remove the cupcakes from the tin, and allow them to cool on a cooling rack.
- Eat, eat, eat!